Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 chopped white onion
3 finely chopped cloves of garlic
1/3 cup red wine 
(I used Merlot. It's a blue/white label. Brand is Barefoot)
7 cups of canned crushed tomatoes
15 oz. of tomato paste
1 tbsp of dried basil
2 tsp of dried oregano
Salt and pepper as needed
Noodles (How many depending on how many people your serving)

*In a large pot heat up the olive oil over medium heat.
*Cook the onion and garlic in the olive oil till they turn translucent (about 5 minutes).
*Add the wine, sturing occasionally (about 3 minutes)
*Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, dried basil & oregano. 
*Put in salt and pepper as needed. I found I needed more pepper than salt. 
The sauce was really sweet at first so I also added more basil. I'm sure it was because of the wine I used. The recipe said to use Chianti but I couldn't find it at the store.
*I cooked the sauce for about 1 hour. High heat for a few minutes then low heat. I switched between the two and stirred often. It tasted better the longer it sat.

The recipe said the sauce would serve 6. I would say it could serve at least 10.


0 comments:

Post a Comment